Monday, December 29, 2008

Struts, Hibernate Development with Eclipse

I'm developing an web application to test algorithms for Romba-like devices. I have some algorithms in mind, that I want to test, so I decided I develop an application for the purpose of testing these algorithms or any algorithms.

I wanted to use Java standard frameworks, for now Struts and Hibernate and Eclipse as the. It took me some time to figure out what free plugins to use with Eclipse to add support to Struts and Hibernate. I looked for some time and finally found the following set of plugins:
For DB development support I have used three:
  • DB Development plugin (from Eclipse.org)
  • QuantumDB
  • Derby plugin (from Eclipse.org)
Probably the first of these would be enough.

A few notes:
  • Tomcat plugin doesn't come with a documentation, but the website has a decent one. Plugin works nicely. Starts Tomcat in debug mode, unless user disables this feature in plugin preferences. Switch to Debug perspective and you can debug your application.
  • QuantumDB is a well known plugin, but I had problems with it. I couldn't find in it the tables that were in the database. Possibly, I'll learn how to use it. DB Development plugin is easier to learn it.
I'm still in early phase of the development. I'll update this blog when I have more experience with these plugins.

No comments: