Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Using Unit Testing to Test GWT RCP Calls

This is a short note. I'm working on a GWT application and ran into a problem with an RPC call which gets some objects from the database using Hibernate and passes them back to the client. I'm going to solve the problem using Dozer, but I needed to confirm this was the problem and simplify the testing of this in future. So, I decided I want to unit test this service from the client's perspective. Here are my notes from this exercise:
  • The easiest way to create a GWTTestCase is using the GWT's jUnitCreator. Creating it by hand is possible but tricky.
  • The asynchronous test needs to use delayTestFinish(delayMs) and finishTest(). In my case, I had to set 5000 Ms. For some reason, 500Ms, which I thought would be more than enough was timing out.
  • The good news is, that when using Eclipse plugin for GWT, starting initiating Run as JUnit Test on the GWTTestCase test starts for you also the server. And doing the same with Debug as JUnit Test allows to debug the client as well as server code.
Note: the similar test is supported in Flex application!

No comments: