Saturday, July 18, 2015

Connect Windows to Windows and to Android via FTP

Applications I Tried and Used - Conclusions

I had a need to transfer files from one laptop with windows to another, in a safe way.  The first laptop had a bad virus, removed, but I wasn't going to risk it and wanted to copy just data files and be sure that no virus gets transfered.  I chose ftp, as opposed to, for example, a USB drive, that could get infected and then infect the seconds laptop.  With ftp, I just made sure I didn't copy files that could carry a virus.

Android, I used only to diagnose the connection problem. It worked.

Windows


  • ftp server: Filezilla Grade: 5 of 5
  • firewall, option 1: built-in (Windows 7)
    Result: doesn't allow traffic to ftp server even when added to allow programs. Grade: 1 of 5
  • firewall, option 2: Comodo. Grade: 5 of 5

Android

  • ftp client: AndFTP. Grade: 5 of 5
  • firewall: NoRoot Firewall. 
    Result: Silently ignores connections to local network, but otherwise great. Grade: 4 of 5 
  • network monitoring: Network Connections.
    Result: Doesn't show network requests but only established connections (attempt to connect to Windows ftp server which was blocked by Windows firewall wasn't reported). This limits a usefulness. Grade: 4 of 5

No comments: