Saturday, July 18, 2015

I'd Like to Publish My Family Tree

Why publish on the internet? 

Why not just keeping it on the desktop/laptop at home?
  • Desktop and laptops do break and sometimes you may lose your data.
  • I'd like to share information easier with other members of my family.

There are many options, that is, many sites where you can publish your family tree. The question is about privacy and data ownership. First of all, I don't want my family tree to be public (at least not as a whole). Two, I want to preserve the ownership of the information.

I'm willing to pay for the service, but a reasonable amount, for example up to $50 a year. Ah, currently I don't have enough time to host a genealogy software on my own website. It does take time (although, at the end I consider this option, too).

Candidate websites 

Below candidates come from this review:
  1. Ancestry.com: family trees can be made private and shared only with the users you want (who can access them for free), the website is free to enter the family tree info BUT all Ancestry.com receives perpetual, complete right to all the user content in very generous terms (generous to Ancestry.com).
  2. tribalpages.com: Up to 10MB of space is free for user family tree info and access is controlled by the user (there is a fee for more space, $24-$48 per year). Tribal Pages will not share use etc. the user content and user preserves the full ownership.
  3. wikitree.com: To any data entered on this website, user gives to the owner of the website a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, sublicenseable, and transferable license to use, copy publish, etc very much like with Ancestry.com in point 1 above.

Clearly options 1 and 3 do not satisfy my expectations. Option 2 does, however.

GEDCOM import and export

GEDCOM file format for genealogical data is de facto standard and I need as means of importing the information, I have now and to export the information, if I ever need to move to a different site or software.

For Tribalpages, I have also checked this important for me issue. Import: yes. Export: yes, as a backup function, only with paid accounts, no photos in gedcom.

Afterthought

Actually, for the parameters described above, hosting a genealogy software on my own website might be ideal (despite my earlier assumption of the opposite). Candidates:
  • TNG or The Next Generation, $25 or less, one time cost, proprietary license.
  • webtrees - a free GPL-licensed PHP-written software. Comparing to TNG, it misses only WordPress integration, duplicate finder (there partial for this) and possibly a photo gallery (it supports photos, of course, though).

Both softwares have GEDCOM support and both require a web hosting service, LAMP hosting would be sufficient. But finding a reasonable web hosting service, not too expensive, but not a fake (by this, I mean companies, that artificially drive their price very low, but provide poor service, for example, by using insufficient hardware, or cutting off customers, whose websites generate much traffic, even if it's within the agreed bandwidth), that is a quite separate issue.

Closing

Let me know, what solution do you use to publish your family tree.

No comments: